Situated 18 kms from Panaji and situated on a headland of the river Mandovi, this fort was built by the Portuguese in 1609-1612, to command entry into the river in order protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks. A spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that called there, giving it the name “Aguada” (meaning ‘water’ in Portguese). The fort, at present, houses the Central Jail. A 19th century lighthouse is situated inside the fortress.
Cabo de Rama gets its name from a mythological legend that states that it is here that Lord Rama, accompanied by his wife Sita, took refuge during his exile from Ayodhya. Inside the fort is the church of Santo Antonio, which is still frequented by devotees who come there to pray and enjoy the mystical atmosphere of the fort. The whitewashed walls of the church and the weather-worn black stones of the fort create a picture of stark contrast.
Adil Shah of Bijapur, built this fort on the southern headland of the Chapora River. Although the fort is now in ruins, it does offer a commanding view of the Vagator Beach.